Steem Basic Income Giveaway (Medication and Pregnancy…)
Thanks to everyone who responded about who they most [resembled out of their mother or father…](https://steemit.com/contest/@bengy/steembasicincomegiveawayyouarejustlike-0awgm9oxzz)… it is always interesting to see how we take the traits (good and bad) of the ones that spend so much time shaping our early lives.
Anyway, this week is a more of a tougher question… I was listening to some podcasts… and most of my podcasts are quite scientific in nature, and there were interviews with researchers who were highlighting how most of modern medicine has been geared towards the treatment and efficacy in men. Now, this is not a discrimination thing as such… it was just deemed in the past that the fluctuating hormone levels of women made them unreliable test subjects for medical trials. Needless to say, this has meant that there are certain drugs that work much less well in women (or not at all…) due to the lack of testing on subjects.
As a corollary to this, there has also been a lack of information and testing of drugs in pregnant women… for some reason, it is considered unethical to test on a pregnant women (joking… don’t flame me…). Thus, pregnant women are usually unable to get prescriptions from a doctor as most of them will just say… I’m not sure… I don’t know!
So, without going to the bad old days of the early 20th century where you could just test medical treatments out on unsuspecting humans… should we be testing medical drugs on pregnant women?
1. Do you think it would be a good idea (ethical…) to test medicines on pregnant women, to gather data about the efficacy of the drugs… so that women who are pregnant and in need of some sort of medicine can have some certainty about efficacy and side effects?
Well… I’m stuck. On one hand, I am of the opinion that more data is always better, and so there is that side of me which says that as long as the trials are not forced, and the pregnant women are consenting… then there is no problem! However, that said… there is a potential third party who can not give consent…
… on yet another hand, I do think that abortion is a women’s right.. and no one else’s business.. and that also involves the lack of consent from the same third party.
… so, I would say that in the case of abortion, I don’t consider early term pregnancies to be “alive”, much in the same way I wouldn’t consider single and multi-celled creatures “alive”. By “alive”, I mean that they are conscious and intelligent life forms…. so by this reasoning, I would consider that the third party consent of the fetus, is the proxied to the mother.
… so, if I follow the same logic, then the medical experimentation on pregnant women is not a problem as long as the woman has given consent for the trial. In the end, it is more useful to have solid data so that treatments can be suggested and given with some degree of certainty. Acting (or avoiding action) whilst cloaked in ignorance is for me a far greater danger…
… bleah… but like I said, I’m not sure!
1. Upvote is not required, but appreciated!
2. Resteem is NOT necessary!
3. In the comments, answer as best as you can the questions that are posed in the “My Questions”!
4. I have added a small Steem-Bounty to the post, so that everyone who replies with a valid entry will get something back. If I give your post a small upvote, it is valid (also, subscribe to @dustsweeper for maximum benefit!).
5. I will be sponsoring as many people as this post pays out in liquid SBD/STEEM. Also I will kick in at least the required amount to round up to the full number. Winner is by random generator after a shortlisting of quality comments!
6. PLEASE PLEASE Don’t upvote your OWN comment. I can’t stop you doing it, but it seems to mess up the distribution of the Bounty for everyone else. If you upvote your own comment, I will consider it an invalid entry when doing the draw.
One of the first communities that I came in contact with at the beginning of my time at Steemit was @steembasicincome. As a author starting out on your fresh new Steemit account, Steemit can be a daunting and lonely place to be. OFten, it can feel like you are posting into an abyss with no one listening and with no ability to grow out of the situation. A share of Steem Basic Income gives you a guaranteed vote on one post a day, thus giving you a small but over time cumulative support to your account to help grow you out of your initial wilderness!
With this post, I want to help sponsor people who might not even have the spare 1 STEEM that is required for registration. So, when this post pays out, I will sponsor people depending on the payout of this post. Basically, I will round up the SBD payout from this post and then that will be the number of people I will sponsor. (So, if the payout is 2.3 SBD, I will sponsor 3 people). OF course, this is not simply an altruistic move, as the sponsor of a Steem Basic Income share also gets a share, so it is a great way to help others whilst helping yourself!
The [last post](https://steemit.com/contest/@bengy/steembasicincomegiveawayyouarejustlike-0awgm9oxzz) paid out 0.594 SBD and 0 STEEM in liquid earnings. So, that would make 2 shares.
The winners by random draw are:
Account banner by jimramones